These “Brain Health” suggestions were posted at a recent presentation given by Dr. Majid Fotuhi, regarding points about growing your brain. He noted that we can “grow” our brain at any age (and hopefully postpone Alzheimers Disease). He has written a book called Boost Your Brain.
- You can boost your brain performance and increase its size within weeks.
- “Use it or lose it” applies to your brain more so than it applies to your muscles.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids (esp. with DHA) are the best vitamin supplements for your brain.
- Walking 2 Km per day can reduce your risk of Alzheimer’s disease by 48%.
- Regular meditation can help grow the memory parts of your brain.
- Poor sleep can accelerate your risk for developing Alzheimer’s Disease.
Foods for Brain Health
Dr Mike Dow, a featured guest on The Doctors, City TV, demonstrated a small plate of the best foods for Brain Health. His recommended ideal plate was:
- Wild Salmon
- Bone Broth
- Fresh Greens
- Red Peppers
His list includes a healthy protein (with Tryptophan), vegetables and produce that contain vitamins essential for your brain. He has written a book called The Sugar Brain Fix, and several others, on what to do to help your brain stay healthy.
Try to incorporate these foods into your diet for overall brain health, especially the Wild Salmon, as well as paying attention to the notes on Brain Growth. It is never too late!